Can I take duromine and fluvoxamine together?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Can i take duromine and Fluvoxamine together? I am currently on fluvoxamine at 50mg dose per day. I am interested in taking duromine at either 15mg or 30mg per day but I am not sure if they interact with each other.
Posted Fri, 9 Nov 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 50 minutes later

Fluvoxamine (Serotonin reuptake inhibitors) may interact with DUROMINE (Phentermine) by increasing serotonin levels. So DUROMINE should be used with caution if you are already taking Fluvoxamine.

Both of these medicines can increase the level of serotonin in your body. High serotonin levels may cause changes in body temperature, blood pressure and behaviour, leading to a medical condition called Serotonin Syndrome. Serotonin Syndrome may be life threatening.

Make sure your doctor know that you are taking these medicines together. If you experience muscle twitching, tremors, shivering or stiffness, fever, heavy sweating, heart palpitations, restlessness, confusion, agitation, trouble with coordination, or severe diarrhea contact your doctor right away. Your doctor may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health...