Can I take doxycycline for Ureaplasma when suffering from chest pain and esophagitis?

Question
Doctor, I started taking doxycycline 100mg from yesterday for Ureaplasma. Now i am feeling chest pain and esophagitisis. Shall i continue Doxy. medication or stop it
Posted Sat, 8 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Jose Ignacio Artero Munoz 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: Doxycycline Detailed Answer: Hello.Delighted to be able to help. Related to intake of doxycycline there have been reported cases of esophageal ulcers and pericarditis (inflammation of the outer layer of the heart), pathologies that cause the symptoms that you refer. I recommend you go to your doctor as soon as possible to evaluate and replace or discontinue doxycycline by another effective antibiotic against ureaplasma such as streptomycin, azithromycin or others. I Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.If you do not have any clarifications, please don’t forget to evaluate my answer. I wish you good health.

Follow-up: Can I take doxycycline for Ureaplasma when suffering from chest pain and esophagitis? 23 minutes later
Doctor, The problem is my doctor will be back to the hospital only on 26th XXXXXXX as he is went for some medical camp. For the time being is there any medicine which should i take. I have gone through some web sites says the ulcers will automatically heal after 2-3 days upon stoppage of medicine. Please advice.

Answered by Dr. Jose Ignacio Artero Munoz 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: Emergency Service Detailed Answer: Hello.Delighted to be able to help. If your doctor is not available ,you should go to an Emergency Service because besides is advisable to realize an electrocardiogram to rule out pericarditis. The emergency doctor may prescribe you a drug to treat esophagitis (omeprazole for example) and change doxycycline by another effective antibiotic against ureaplasma. I Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.If you do not have any clarifications, please don’t forget to evaluate my answer.I wish you good health.