Can I take ddavp for bleeding problem?

Hi, I started the microgynon pill on Monday as it was the first day of my period this was the first step in my IVF procedure. My periods have been regular for 7 years like clock work every 26-27 days bleeding for 5 days. I have now been bleeding for 11 days on the 7th day my fertility doctor told me to stop the pill. The flow has slowed down but the blood is still bright red. I had a unexplained vaginal bleeding problem from 16 years old to 25 and it was just called a platelet disorder, I was on ddavp and this seemed to have cured me as I have not taken anything or had any problems for 7 years. I am worried this pill has started my problems off again and the doctors are now cautious to proceed with my IVF. Should I go back on my ddavp, is this normal with microgynon? am I allergic? I just need some advice because I have blood transfusions and nearly died twice with my bleeding problem when I was younger, Also do you think it could of been the pill that started all this off years ago as I was put on a contraceptive pill when I was sixteen and not long after my problems started. Thanks XXXXXXX Firstly thank you for your fast response I had haemophilia tests carried out and was told I possibly had von willerbrands but that could not guarantee this from the test results. I have not been on ddavp for 7 years now as it was not needed but when I was going through all the tests like coloscopy years before they used ddavp as a precaution so I agree with what you said on this. If the test on von willerbrands was inconclusive and they could not diagnose me with it, what I can do from here?
Posted Tue, 11 Feb 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle -4 hours later
Brief Answer: Hello, I would be happy to help... Detailed Answer: You are on DDAVP because they probably diagnosed you with a problem called "Von Willebrand's disease". This is not uncommon and it is a problem where your platelets do not work normally and you are prone to extra bleeding. This is supported by your history: heavy menstrual cycles, need for blood transfusions and treatment with DDAVP with improvement. If I were your IVF doctor, I would be nervous as well. Here is what should happen: 1. You need to meet with your primary doctor 2. You need to fully review the prior workup and firm up the diagnosis 3. The exact type of vWF disease should be sorted out 4. DDAVP is likely needed any time you have a procedure Once identified, this is a very manageable problem. You should be able to go ahead with the procedure, but it can be a much safer one if you sort this out first. I hope that this helps! Brief Answer: I am sorry about the followup delay... Detailed Answer: Given that it has been a long time since you had this workup, and given the upcoming procedures, then I believe that it would be in your best interest to re-visit with a Hematologist to sort this out. I would have them repeat the testing for VonWillebrand's and assess whether the workup was complete with regard to the bleeding problems. Please let me know what followup questions you have!