Can I take creatine supplement when suffering from hypothyroidism?

I started taking a creatine supplement (1 teaspoon a day) for a diet and exercise program I am on. I read on some websites that if you have hypothyroidism your creatine levels are already high. Should I stop taking the supplement?
Posted Wed, 12 Feb 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Kavita Paul 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: Maintain good hydration. Detailed Answer: Hi, I appreciate your concern. In case you want to take creatine supplement , you can take short term supplementation provided you have normal renal functions. Hypothyroidism as such does not affect renal functions.Continue taking your thyroid medications and monitor your thyroid hormone levels regularly. Creatine causes muscles to draw water from the rest of your body.So be sure to drink plenty of fluids. Avoid Dehydration and watch your urine output. In case you want to take it, use it in recommended doses and watch for side effects like stomach pain, nausea, diarrhea, and muscle cramping. Hope It Helps. Kindly ask in case of any query. Dr. Kavita Paul