Can I take colestipol instead of Questran for diarrhea due to removal of ileocecal valve?

does colestipol work the same as Questran for diarrhea due to removal of the illeal cecal valve? I couldn't get the Questran down (tastes bad) and the Colestipol is a pill. I was told to take 2 a day, but I am not seeing any results?
Posted Mon, 28 Oct 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Colestipol can replace Questran .

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

The mechanisms of action of both drugs is the same through bile sequestration and both aid in reduction of Cholesterol in the blood.

I think it might be difficult and not very appropriate to draw conclusions with respect to the effectiveness, if you have not taken it for quite sometime. Failure to experience favorable results could be either due to an inadequate dose, short duration of taking the drug or amounts of fats or cholesterol in the diet. It is suggested to take a baseline (initial measurement) of blood cholesterol, Triglycerides and Lipoproteins (LDLc, HDLc) before starting the drug. Taking the drug for about a month permits us to assess the effectiveness, when the blood tests for Cholesterol are measured all over. I would consider these parameters before concluding the drug as ineffective. Further it is advised always to associate the dietary recommendation of your doctor.

I would suggest you visit you family physician. A careful evaluation with respect to the baseline results before you were put on treatment will permit your doctor to make a decision. Maybe increase drug dosage or reinforce specific life style and special dietary measures.

Feel free asking further follow up questions in case you have specific concerns. I will be happy contributing to your well being. Kind regards as I wish you good health.

Bain LE, MD
Follow-up: Can I take colestipol instead of Questran for diarrhea due to removal of ileocecal valve? 2 hours later
Dr. XXXXXXX - I am not taking this medication for cholesterol issues, I am taking it for chronic diarrhea due to having the portion of my intestines removed where the bile acids are normally absorbed? What I wanted to know is whether Questran and Colestipol are very near the same? And, also, is the quantity I am taking of the Colestipol (2 per day 1gram tablet) enough to help with this problem? If this medication is going to work for me, how long would I need to be on it before I see any positive changes in my feces?
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
patience, and careful monitored increase in dosage

Detailed Answer:
Thanks again for your clear clarifications.

As mentioned earlier, they do have the same actions and expected effects.

Colestipol, at 2 grams a day, is appropriate for a beginning. The dosage shall then be increased progressively. Generally, it is advisable to increase at intervals of one to months. This means that, instead of taking 2g a day next month, you would take 4g in two divided doses. 2g in the morning and 2 g in the evening. The dosage shall then be increased in the next one to two months to 6g daily in divided doses. Your doctor has to increase the dosage carefully and watch for any adverse reactions and watch tolerance.

In the case of ileac valve resection, normally after three to four months of effective and well carried out incremental increases, you should obtain some clinical improvement with a decline in the intensity of diarrhea you are experiencing.

Do not be afraid for it is allowed to take even up to 16 grams of Colestipol a day. This shall however deserve a careful monitoring by your doctor to take care of side effects , drug response and adverse reactions if any.

You might need to be patient, comply with your doctor as the dosage of the drug is increased gradually and carefully. I think this way, you shall obtain improvement. I am predisposed to answer follow up questions in case you got specific concerns. feel very free as I wish you the best of Health. Thanks and kind regards.

Bain LE, MD