Can I take caverta along with sugar medicine?

Jan 2013

I am taking folloing medicines for Sugar and BP, Can I take Caverta to take care of my ED ?, If not, suggest alternative.
1.Glimiperoxide 1 mg (OD)
2. Metformin 500 mg (TDS)
3. Ramipril 5 mg (OD)
4. Natrilix SR 1.5 mg (OD)
5. Ecosprin 150 mg (OD)
6. Atorvastatin 20 mg (OD)
Posted Thu, 14 Mar 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

With the available described details, conclusion regarding use of Caverta is difficult to made.
Caverta contains sildenafil and It is associated with multiple side effects.
Diabetic patients are prone to multiple complication including almost all organs of body.
Diabetic patients are prone to Erectile dysfunction due to damage of autonomic nervous system.

Sildenafil relaxes smooth muscles and increases blood flow to particular areas of the body like penile cavernous spongiosum while may cause severe hypotension, myocardial infarction (heart attack), ventricular arrhythmias, stroke by causing decrease blood flow.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist and should go for thorough check up.
As such there is no correlation between mentioned medicines and sildenafil.

You should also consult with ophthalmologist for eye check up including retinal status as sildenafil may cause decreased blood supply intraocular arteries.

You should also go for electrocardiogram (ECG ) & stress test and color Doppler of common carotid arteries to rule out any blockage in coronary arteries and carotid arteries (as sildenafil may predisposes to heart attack and stroke).

If all these investigations are found to be normal, then you are on safer side while using sildenafil.
Other brands available in market such as Tildenafil has also same side effects with slight variations in duration of action and persistence of action; so you must go for above mentioned investigations and clinical examination for your safety.

High fat meals should be avoided before taking Caverta to get better response.
Do not take sildenafil more than once a day.
Allow 24 hours to pass between doses.
Start with 50 mg OD and use 25 mg as maintenance dosage.

You can ask direct query on this URL:

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Can I take caverta along with sugar medicine? 15 hours later
If all the test results are normal with taking the medicines as mentioned by me, is Caverta safe for taking care of ED ? Or do you have any suggestion, please.
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 3 hours later
If all above mentioned investigations are normal then it it safe to take Caverta.
Start with 50 mg and use 25 mg as maintenance dose.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava