Can I take benadryl while taking lisinopril, flecainide and xarelto?

May 2014

I am having an mild allergic reaction. I am on lisinopril, flecainide, and xarelto. Can I take Benadryl?
Posted Sat, 1 Feb 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Significant drug interaction with Benadryl likely Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing in to us. Lisinopril is known to interact with diphenhydramine and cause further lowering your blood pressure. You may experience headache, dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, and/or changes in pulse or heart rate. Flecainide oral will increase the level or effect of diphenhydramine-phenylephrine oral and vice versa by altering drug metabolism. Please have a discussion with your doctor before you take Benadryl. You may apply calamine lotion to the itching areas. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek