Can I take aspirin or ibuprofen while detoxing from alcohol?

Nephrologist
Question
Can you take aspirin or ibuprofen while detoxing from alcohol?
Posted Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Need more info Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query I would like to know a few more details in order to help you 1. Are you on any medications for the detox? 2. Please mention the dosage of aspirin or ibuprofen you intend to take 3. Please let me know whether asprin/ibuprofen was given as a prescription or you are taking it as a part of the detox Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply Regards

Follow-up: Can I take aspirin or ibuprofen while detoxing from alcohol? 2 hours later
Hi, 1. I am only taking .5mg of Xanax 2 or 3 times a day. 2. 2 Motrin 3. No it was not prescribed I have a splitting headache and a ringing in my ear. thanks XXXX

Brief Answer: Ringing in the ear the cause for the headache Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query Since you are already taking Motrin it is best not to take aspirin as both these drugs are nephrotoxic (causes injury to the kidney) when taken long term. The headache could be due to the ringing in the ear, you will have to take Tab bethistadine for 7 to 14 days, it helps to stop the ringing in the ear, for the headache a better drug of choice than Motrin would be Naproxen, to be taken once daily after food. Please approach an ENT specialist soon for the ringing. Most often the ringing is because of wax in the ear canal. I hope I was of help, if you have further queries please get back to me I wish you a speedy recovery Regards