Can I take an infrared sauna after my chemotherapy to sweat the toxins out of my body?

Can I take an infrared sauna after my chemotherapy to sweat the toxins/residue out of my body? If so, how long after chemo? Will ithe sauna diminish the effectiveness of the chemo?
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 5 Sep 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

I really do not think there would be any benefit of using a sauna to remove any toxins related to your chemotherapy from your body. I want you to remember that the toxicity associated with chemotherapy is something that we have to accept because this level of toxicity is what provides the therapeutic benefit against the cancer cells in your liver.

I would not use the sauna for at least three or four days after any treatment.

Again I want to emphasize that there is no benefit to using the sauna in the setting of chemotherapy. Your doctor has carefully selected medications which will target the cancer cells in your liver.

Thank you very much again for your question. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to discuss those with you.

Dr. Robert