Can I take ambien after suffering from racing heart and anxiety?

I took an ambien 10mg at 9:30 woke up at midnight and have a racing heart anxiety etc similar to when I feel asleep. Can I now take .5 of xanex or is it to soon?
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: Take 0.5mg of Xanax now. Consult your doctor Detailed Answer: Hi Lady, Thanks for your query. Firstly, please NOTE that Ambien induces sleep initiation ONLY IN THOSE PEOPLE who do not have an underlying a primary psychiatric disorder. Ambien can also produce anxiety. Though you have not provided detailed information about your problems, I presume that you have been suffering from chronic mental stress/anxiety. If that is so, long-term treatment of underlying condition (anxiety) will address to your lack of sleep initiation. Xanax is an anti-anxiety drug. You can therefore take a tablet now, which- by curbing your acute anxiety- will help you in falling asleep. However, I would strongly advise you to consult your doctor / Psychiatrist for management of chronic anxiety. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Have a nice day, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal
Follow-up: Can I take ambien after suffering from racing heart and anxiety? 2 minutes later
So it's not too soon to take the xanex after taking the ambien.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: You may take Xanax now Detailed Answer: You can take it NOW itself. You are not able to sleep because of anxiety. Take care
Follow-up: Can I take ambien after suffering from racing heart and anxiety? 16 hours later
So I went back to the dr today because the Xanex was not working to keep me asleep. I again only slept 3 total hours. He prescribed me 5mg of valium to take a t bedtime. If I wake in the middle of the night can I take 5mg more to get me through the night? I forgot to ask today and they are already closed. I know that there are 10mg tabs so they must be safe right? Will taking 5 more mg if I wake put me back to sleep.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Maximum of 10mg at night to be taken Detailed Answer: You can take another 5mg tablet of Valium whenever you get up at night. THE TOTAL DOSE SHOULD NOT EXCEED 10MG on a given night. Daily dose of Valium will lead to addiction. As I said earlier, your sleeplessness is due to chronic anxiety + depression. The AIM should be to treat the ROOT CAUSE and NOT the symptom. I once again STRONGLY advise you to consult your Psychiatrist for regular treatment of anxiety and depression. Take care, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal