Can I take alphamox to treat tonsilitis ?

Age 17 weight 55kg height 5 foot 5 inches
currently taking Roaccutane for acne.
I have an infected tonsils. Can I take Alphamox 500mg capsules to treat my tonsilitis. I am allergic to sulphur based drugs.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 1 hour later
Hi Doona XXXXXXX Welcome to XXXXXXX Forum.

Thanks for the Query.

I Would like to ask you few things here, so that i can suggest you better:

1.) Have you got yourself examined by a ENT Specialist?
2.) Has Tonsillitis been confirmed?
3.) Do you have Fever?
4.) Do you have Pain while swallowing?
5.) Do you have Sore throat?

If you are Allergic to any Drug, kindly do not take it. Get yourself examined by a ENT Specialist. He will do a,
1.) Physical examination
2.) Take a Throat Swab and send it for Culture & Sensitivity
3.) Do a Blood Work up including Complete Blood Count (CBC)

Depending upon the Reports, he/she will prescribe you antibiotics and Analgesics which will act against the Bacteria causing the Infection. Hence taking Alphamox is not recommended without seeing your primary doctor / ENT specialist. There are no specified interactions available with Amoxicillin (Alphamox) and Isotretinoin (Accutane) Kindly do not take any medicine without consulting a Doctor. In resistant cases and repeated Attacks of Tonsillitis you might require a Surgery.

Follow the Lifestyle changes for early and speedy recovery along with the medicines recommend by your doctor:

1.) Get Adequate rest
2.) Drink plenty of water and Fluids
3.) Do salt water gargles several times a day
4.) Use Warm or cold liquids like Coffee or ice creams which can soothe if you have a sore throat
5.) Avoid smoking and Alcoholism
6.) If possible use a Cool air Humidifier at home
7.) Exercise regularly
8.) Eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables
9.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wish you Good Health, early and speedy recovery.

Take Care.