Can I take a tablet without side effect to help reduce weight?

Ayurveda Specialist
Can i take a tablet without side effect to help me to reduce weight
Posted Wed, 2 Oct 2013 in Ayurveda
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for contacting Ayurveda with your health concern and going by the history you have provided it will be highly appreciated if you can provide with following details regarding your health problem for better management of your query:

1. You have not mentioned your weight i.e. whether you are 'obese' or over weight?
2. Before prescribing medicine do let me know that whether secondary causes of weight gain like blood sugar,thyroid profile (under active),sedentary lifestyle and high lipid profile are ruled out?
3. there is no magic pill in any system of medicine which can help you in reducing weight without the help of lifestyle and dietary modification along with exercise schedule, although taking tablet can be shortcut to success but not a permanent cure, because it might not be approved by any governing body (like FDA) and also because of the undesirable side effects of the tablet like increased heart rate, stomach irritation,irritability and interaction with prescription drugs (if taking already)
4. so before opting for any tablet-pill from any system of medicine, do let me know if any Investigations have been done, so that Ayurveda drugs which targets on Digestive system (causative factor in weight gain) along side necessary Dietary and lifestyle changes can be advised accordingly with Yoga curriculum.

Do revert back with your clarifications

Dr. Munish Sood
Consultant & Physician
Follow-up: Can I take a tablet without side effect to help reduce weight? 10 hours later
Thanks for the Reply and my details are as under.

Age - 39
Height - 5.10
Weight - 94

I am not Obese and my problem is I am over weight.
I am not suffering from any medical problem like diabities, blood sugar,thyroid.
I am currently doing some exercise like waking or swiming atlest 3 days in a wk.
I wanted to know additionally can I take any medicine which will help me to burn fats.

Brief Answer:
Lifestyle-Dietary-Medicine Aspect

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the clarifications and because no medical cause is a reason for being overweight in your history thus one cause still remain i.e. your Occupation (sedentary life style-lack of zeal or enthusiasm), do let me know about that.

1.     There is a limit to how much one can exercise everyday.An average (non athelete) person cannot run or exercise vigorously for more than 30 minutes i.e. you cannot burn more than 300 calories through EXERCISE everyday! So it is important to control the tongue, along with whatever exercise you do:
½ hour of walking burn 130 calories
½ hour of jogging/running burn 300-350 calories
½ hour of swimming burn 250 calories
½ hour of cycling burn 150 calories
½ hour of aerobic exercise burn 250 calories
½ hour of light exercise like writing/driving burn 50 calories
i.e. if you don’t exercise you consume about 2000-2500 calories per day.To this you Add any of the above exercise protocol to consume more calories, and keep your calorie consumption below 2000 per day and you will be losing weight

2. Tips on Eating: Starvation is not the right way to loose weight.Take the right type of diet and eat heartily:

.sedentary lifestyle, day time sleeping after meals, newly harvested rice, curd, butter, ghee,cheese,cream,chocolates,cakes,pastries,ice-creams XXXXXXX
. oils should be reduced to minimum,avoid deep fried foods like puries,bhujees, potato chips.
.avoid potatoes,sweet potatoes,beets,yam,nuts,fruits with sweet pulp like mango, chickoos, bananas and grapes.
. avoid processed and tinned foods,opt for fresh foods
. drinking cold water after exercise.
. Eliminate all cold food and drink,you should eat nothing that is refrigerator cold.

.start the meal with large bowl of thin soup,followed by good volume of salads prepared with green vegetables (cabbage,cauliflower,lettuce,cucumber, sprouted pulses). This will prevent you from taking extra servings of the meals.Drink plenty of water and diluted buttermilk.
.Avoid rice,take roti or phulka,without oil or ghee.The bhaji servings should be prepared from green leafy vegetables,onions,cauliflower’s,lady’s finger,radish, turnips, mushrooms, sprouted pulses. Oil may be substituted by gravy of tomato, onion, garlic, and ginger, in the curry or bhaji for taste.
. For morning and evening snacks, take recommended fruits,vegetables and low fat (skimmed) milk, black tea without sugar has negligible calories.
. Carbohydrates: fat requires carbohydrates to burn, so take them in moderation like grains.

. Do not eat only 2 large meals a day.It leads to overeating due to hunger.Take snacks in between.It is advisable to eat a good breakfast and light lunch and dinner.
. Keep a quiet and pleasant atmosphere in the dining hall.Watching TV while eating, talking,arguments,angry discussions all lead to overeatin g.
. Eat slowly,chwing each bite thoroughly gives a feeling of satiation.
. do not be tempted to finish up the leftovers.
. use nonstick cooking ware for cooking

1. Ayurveda though is a slower process, but in case of weight loss: haste makes waste, so one has top be gradual in his approach.
2. It is wise to take vitamin and mineral supplementation during this period, to ensure thatyour body does not lack any nutrients

1.     Some Ayurveda compounds which are prescribed in India for weight reduction include: Triphala,Arogya vardhini Vati,,Chandraprabha Vati,Triphala Guggulu and since these are prescription drugs you should contact with your Local Ayurveda Physician regarding their dosage because overuse of guggulu can cause dryness of mouth,faintness,emaciation,and looseness of limbs.

PS: remember that insufficient FAT weakens and damages your Immunity, Fat is an essential Dhatu and is good for you, in the proper amount, so hatred of fat is self hatred thus forgot about FAT; think about recreating yourself.

Do revert back for any clarifications

Dr. Munish Sood