Can I take a substitute of lithium when suffering from kidney disease?

-Can you go off Lithium after 20 years, and take a substitue drug ,as need because of Kidney disease, without bad effects?
Posted Wed, 12 Feb 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes you should. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. Lithium is a good mood stablizer but you should not use it if you have a kidney trouble. Kidneys are the main outlet for the lithium and if there is a kidney disease then lithium may not come out and cause toxicity. Other good options are valproate and carbamazepine. But while coming off lithium make sure it is done very gradually or it will precipitate a mood episode. You need to cross taper lithium with valproate. Like lithium even the valproate levels can be measured in the lab and that makes it helpful. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.