Can I take a decongestant when suffering from prehypertension?

Can you take a decongestant with prehypertension? 138/84
Posted Fri, 7 Feb 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prasad 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: Better to avoid them... Detailed Answer: Hi, Decongestants have potential to raise heart rate as well as blood pressure. If your nose is congested badly I would choose topical decongestant instead of oral drugs as to avoid significant systemic effects. Alternatively I would advice you to use only steam inhalation to take care of congestion. Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards
Follow-up: Can I take a decongestant when suffering from prehypertension? 3 minutes later
What are examples of topical decongestant?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Otrivin... Detailed Answer: Psedoephedrine available in the market as Otrivin nasal spray and drops is a classical example of topical decongestant. The adrenergic effects are more localised - limited to the nose and very rarely they cause systemic effects - increased heart rate and blood pressure. Though Otrivin is more safe, I would recommend you to try steam inhalational more frequently and use decongestant sparingly. Hope this helped. Regards