Can I take Z-Quil the night before a tonsillectomy ?

Can I take Z-Quil the night before a tonsillectomy ? I am also having a biopsy on my neck and soft palate. My surgery is in the morning and I can't get away from work to get an answer
I think I have cancer of the throat . Will removing my tonsils now be a good idea?
I took antibiotics two weeks ago to clear up an infection I gave myself by pushing tonsil stones out with the end of pen .
I am scared and I don't always convey what I want to say correctly but hopefully this makes since.
Posted Thu, 19 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can use it

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is understandable to be scared.

The main medications that have to be avoided prior to surgery are some pain medications that may increase the risk of bleeding.
This would include medications such as aspirin, ibuprofen, cataflam.

Herbal medications are also stopped because they are not regulated and it is difficult to know the exact ingredients present.

Sleep aids such as z quill should not have any impact on the anesthesia or surgery because it should have worn off by the time of surgery.
To ensure this you may want to consider taking it a little earlier than usual and using a slightly lower dose.

Biopsy of the throat ,which includes the tonsils, is often done in the setting of a tonsillectomy.

If there are any significant lesions found on biopsy and it is an early stage then effective treatment is available.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions