Can I take Viagra within 36 hrs of a cataract surgery?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
Can I take Viagra within 36 hrs of a cataract surgery..
Posted Tue, 12 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
If there wasnt general anasthesia then there is no any risk if you take regular viagra dose. But if there was general anasthesia I recommend not to take it in first 3 days after surgery.
Also, viagra and sexual intercourse may cause certain symptoms in cataracta patients such as headache,but it is not significant in most cases.
However, If you notice severe headache,vision disorder, hypotension or dizziness, visit doctor as soon as you can.
Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards

Follow-up: Can I take Viagra within 36 hrs of a cataract surgery? 2 minutes later
I meant 36 hours before the surgery not after the surgery

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi.

Detailed Answer:
Then you should not take it. Interaction with medicines that are used for anasthesia is not common,but is possible and I dont think you should take that risk. Viagra stays in blood for 2-3 days and it may lead to hypotension which is not good for surgical procedure. Also some other side effects of viagra may affect surgery.
So I think you should focus on your eye health now, be patient and wait for surgery to be performed.2-3 days after it is done,start with viagra again
Wish you good health and recovery. Regards