Can I take St. John's Wort if I have atrial fibrillation with borderline long QT? Cannot take Prozac anymore.

Can I take St. John's Wort if I have atrial fib with occasional or boderline long QT. Dr. said I cannot take prozac anymore. and I am sinking slowly into the sea.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

St. Johns Wort is well known for its efficacy in decreasing depressive symptoms. But its combination with atrial fibrillation might increase the incidence of fibrillation.

As you are taking warfarin also, St. John's wort can induce its metabolism thus reducing the efficacy of warfarin. This might increase your tendency of clot dislodgement.

Since St. John's wort shows interactions with many drugs, it is not advisable to combine the two treatments.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Follow-up: Can I take St. John's Wort if I have atrial fibrillation with borderline long QT? Cannot take Prozac anymore. 6 hours later
I wonder what could be ok to take or do for depression since I cannot take Prozac or the.Johns Wort with out too much risk

When I have crying, should I take valium or does it conflict and increase risks. It seems I have to eat to calm myself down...which causes weight gain and sugar contol issuess from the diabetes.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
For treatment of depression you need to remain close to your family and friends with whom you can talk and share your feelings and difficulties. Other than that some simple measures that can help you include-
1. Practice relaxation exercises like yoga, XXXXXXX breathing exercises, etc.
2.Do a regular workout or exercise like aerobics.
3. Decrease sugar intake in your diet.
4. Indulge in some interesting hobbies.
5.Listen to music , go to parks or picnics with friends, etc.
These will relax your tension to a large extent and you will find your life interesting. There are some drugs like escitalopram, sertraline, etc which can help you in early recovery but these should be taken only after proper consultation with your doctor.
Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.
Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.