Can I take Cymbalta nstead of Sertraline?

Question
I did have another questions about taking Cymbalta instead of Sertraline. I wonder if the two meds are equivalent as far as strength and dosages.
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Vaddadi Suresh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: different classes of drugs used for depression. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX Cymbalta (duloxitine) and Sertraline are different classes of drugs used for depression. Cymbalta is available as 10,20,30,60 mg whereas sertraline is available as 50 and 100 mg. Cymbalta may have much higher sedation than sertra; In general, sertra is considered much better drug than cymbalta considering low side effect profile, while patients show variable response to each. if there is anything to be known, please post.

Follow-up: Can I take Cymbalta nstead of Sertraline? 6 hours later
So can I take Cymbalta while taking Lithium and not taking Sertraline for a while?

Brief Answer: Yes, you can take symbalta along with lithium Detailed Answer: Hi, Yes, you can take symbalta along with lithium. It is a better combination. (Lithium should be carefully used when used along with sertraline as occasionally it may increase side effects of lithium.) Hope i am clear.