Can I take Ashwagandha ayurvedic for hypothyroid?

can I take Ashwagandha ayurvedic for my hypothyroid with other supplement that im taking to the thyroid I know for sure the cuse is stress
Posted Thu, 8 Aug 2013 in Ayurveda
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 5 hours later
Hi Ronitlevi,

Refering to your medical history, your weight gain mainly suggest due to hypothyroidism.

1.Ashwagandha is a natural ayurvedic preparation. They act as adaptogen and to bring you back in balance in stress. There is no harm in taking it but it cant be the only treatment as hormonal imbalance may be due to multiple reasons like gland not respong to stimulants or the capacity of gland to secrete may be reduced. In sych case even with stimulant or adaptogen your hormone will not come to normal level.

2. In hypothyroidism the right management is to provide the hormone (Thyroid) that is insufficiently produced from our body. To know the cause and the deficient get done once your thyroid profile that will tell about your body thyrid levels and TSH level. After that if hypo then you need to take hormone replacement for it.

3.Hypothyroidism can affect your regular cycles, if there is any disturbance in your normal cycle because of hypothyroidism and since you are 37 years get done once USG abdomen and pelvis to know if any problem. Consult your doctor for examination and management.

Hope I answered your question. Feel free to ask me if you have any further queries.
Wish you good health. Take care.