Can I take Aleve, Plavix and Indocin together?

What is the danger in taking Aleve for a short time when I am also taking Plavix (75mg per day)? I also take Indocin, which I would discontinue while taking the Aleve. Thank you!
Posted Fri, 31 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Omer 52 minutes later

Thanks for your question. My name is Dr Omer and I am here to help you today with your question. I will be happy to assist you with your follow up questions also. I am sorry to hear about your problem.
As you have mentioned that you take the above drugs, but I should tell you the important facts of these drugs first.

Plavix is clopidogrel ,blood thinner with very mild tendency to have bleed in already present ulcers or erosion, no new erosions or ulcers with this drug.

Indocin is indomethacin , a pain killer , with moderate tendency to form new erosions and ulcers in stomach , but there is no specific time for how much long duration of these medicines should be taken to cause bleed as it depends patient to patient.
Aleve is neoproxen which is very potent pain killer with high degrees of bleeding from stomach + intestinal bleed+strictures in intestine for a 3 month use.
You are having chronic pain like rheumatoid arthritis or osteoarthritis, there are other kidney problems , liver problems with aleve, but indocin is a low potent pain killer , it has less effects on these organs.

aleve, indocin are all from same family known as NSAIDS, famous for bleeding /ulcers in stomach, so if you take them with plavix(blood thinner) tendency to bleed is more with aleve especially in old age.

I would suggest to take stomach coating medicine (omeprazole) with all pain killers specially aleve to prevent bleeding...prohylaxis is better than treatment
I wish you good luck that you get well soon, if you have any question, please ask because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to assist you always.