Can I stop dosage after accidentaly taking Cepodem instead of Cepodex?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I ahve been taking Cepodex 325 mg from Thursday. By mistake one day I took tablet of Cepodem 200. Therefore overall I have taken 11 tablets of cepodem 325 and one of cepodem 200. Can I stop now
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
Cepodex325 is an antibiotic containing cefpodoxime 200 mg and clavalunate 125 mg.
Cepodem contains cefpodoxime 200 mg. without additional clavalunate.
Clavalunate is added to increase efficacy, decrease resistance and sideeffects but the basic antibiotic i.e cefpodoxime is the same in both cepodex and cepodem.
So if you have taken only one tablet of cepodem, instead of cepodex it is practically one and the same not different and you can stop the medicine once you complete the course as adviced by your doctor.
But the most important , is to complete the duration of treatment as adviced by your doctor, usually five days.You seem to have completed it so yes, you can stop taking it now
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.