Can I proceed for abortion procedure after taking crystal meth?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Used crystal meth 12 hrs before in clinic abortion will they still proceed on my procedure?
Posted Mon, 10 Feb 2014 in Drug Abuse

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
Brief Answer: They may proceed Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Usually D&C for abortion can done under local anesthesia. In that case methamphetamine may not interfere with the process. Metamphetamine half life is around 9 to 12 hours. So, even if they choose general anesthesia also, there may not be much problem. Before planning for procedure you once tell to your doctor about the drug. Below 8 weeks gestation medical termination with tablets is possible. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the response, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.

Follow-up: Can I proceed for abortion procedure after taking crystal meth? 14 minutes later
If i dont tell them. Would they find out? I mean would they perform a drug test or any twsr that they would find out before the procedure?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: They may not do specific tests Detailed Answer: Hi, Usually they will do routine physical examination. And may not do any specific tests to find out drug intake. But better to tell to your doctor before the procedure. Take care.

Follow-up: Can I proceed for abortion procedure after taking crystal meth? 1 hour later
Im scared that they would not perform the procedure if i tell them.. I just have 2 days vacation for this and when i get back to work icant ask for another vacation if they re sched rhe procedure.and im scared if they judge me. Iam planning to quit and looking for some helpful tips online to stop and survive the withdrawaL.

Brief Answer: Better to inform Detailed Answer: Hi, Methamphetamine may not affect the procedure of abortion or the efficacy of the drugs used in abortion. So, if you want to go for abortion, better tell them and get the process completed. Because delay in abortion can lead to complications like incomplete abortion, bleeding etc. Avoid taking medicines without doctor's consultation. If you want to continue the pregnancy, then you can leave the hospital. Take care.