Can I plan for baby after taking penicillin for TPHA positive?

HIV AIDS Specialist
Dear Doctor, I got VDRL negative and TPHA positive in Test. Doctor prescribed to take penicillin for 4 weeks with 2.4 milloin units. First week i have taken only 12 million units and next 3 week i have taken 2.4 million units. Am i cured now? still i have rashes on my body. Can i plan for baby? whether the infection will go to my wife an baby? Please help
Posted Mon, 16 Dec 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 2 hours later
Brief Answer: LA12 is not sufficient.LA24 one more is necessary. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for posting your query. TPHA reactive and RPR nonreactive means that there are two possibilities: 1. The disease (syphilis) got treated already. 2. The RPR has to be repeated with further dilutions to rule out a prozone phenomena. Regarding the treatment for syphilis, it depends upon your sexual activity. If you got the infection within two years duration, then a single injection of Benzathine penicillin LA 24 is sufficient. If you are not aware exactly about the time of infection or if you feel it is more than two years, then you have to take this injection weekly once for 4 weeks. Injection Benzathine penicillin La 12 is not counted. It is better to have one more La 24. Meanwhile your wife also has to be examined for serological test for syphilis and has to be treated if reactive. Even if she is not reactive also it is better to give her a single dose of Injection Benzathine Penicilline LA 24 as a single shot. If you completed the injections you can resume your sexual activities with your wife without any fear and you can go for your baby. Your wife and future baby will not get affected. Dr S.Murugan
Follow-up: Can I plan for baby after taking penicillin for TPHA positive? 54 minutes later
thank Doctor. Still i have rashes on my body, when it will be cured. Should i need to take VDRL and TPHA test again to confirm? before planning for baby.
Brief Answer: fadingrashes,then syphilis.Otherwise skin disease Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back. 1.If it starts fading you can wait for few more days for the rashes to disappear. 2. If there is no effect on these rashes it could be due to some other causes other than Syphilis. Syphilitic rashes will not be itchy, present both sides of the body equally. Different forms of rashes present at the same time(macule, papule, scaly and other types). Mucus membrane would have a different type lesions and there would be enlargement of painless lymph nodes equally on both halves of body at different sites.If rashes present, the syphilis is well within a year or so. If it is not matching with this descriptions it would not be due to Syphilitic rashes. Then reactive syphilitic serology has no relation with the rashes. Rashes may be due to other skin disease. Dr S.Murugan
Follow-up: Can I plan for baby after taking penicillin for TPHA positive? 18 hours later
thanks Doctor, its fading rashes, no itching. getting cured slowly. i am sure its because of syphilis. please let me know, if i have to be precautionary in other things to plan baby.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: Fading rashes good sign,need no other precautions Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back. Once your treatment had completed and your wife's investigations and treatment or epidemiological dose over, it is presumed that you are no longer infectious to your spouse and expected baby. Fading rashes are a good sign of response to treatment. Your TPHA test never returns to non-reactive following treatment. Once positive serology shows a life-time positive result even in the absence of the disease or infection. You need not bother about the TPHA reactive serology any more after completion of treatment. It is just like a scar after an injury. No other precautions are necessary to plan for a baby. If your symptoms are persistent for more than a month after completion of treatment, then an alternate treatment for syphilis has to be considered. Dr S.Murugan