Can I opt to remove tonsils on account of sore throats?

Hi im 32years old & for years now ive been getting really sore throats every 4-6 months, why wont any doctor let me get my tonsils removed?? Can I elect to have the op??
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 14 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

Recurrent sore throat can be indicative of streptococcal infection caused by a bacteria.Some other causes are virus,low immunity,allergy to any food item etc.

Since you are having the infection in a short span I would request to get a Throat swab culture done to find out the exact casue so that the treatment can be done accordingly.Sometimes other causes such as Infectious mono and Tuberculosis cause recurrent symptoms.

Some suggestions for you:

Do salt water gargle 3 to 4 times a day as that is the best remedy.
Avoid spicy,fatty food intake.Observe if any particular food item causes you problem.
Drink lots of water and other liquids as hot soups.
Abstain from smoking and alcohol(if any) as it makes the throat more sore.
Use a humidifier in the room if air is very dry.
Add a pinch of turmeric to a glass of milk and have before going to bed.
If after the medications the symptoms are persistent and recurrent you can talk to your ENT surgeon for removal of tonsils.

Hope I have answered your query.I will be available for follow up if any.