Can I increase my weight by playing basketball, swimming, and pull up and by taking niacin?

hi i am 24 yrs old and my height is 5 feet 2 inch. can i increase my height 2,3 inch by playing basketball, swimming, and pull up and by taking niacin 500 mg. or there is any solution to increase height.
Posted Fri, 26 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Most males reach their maximum height by age 19, very rarely growth extends in the twenties but it is usually not significant.

Maximum height is mainly determined by genetics though environmental factors such as diet, activity or history of chronic illnesses in childhood and adolescence , use of drugs and alcohol can impact on overall health.

At the end of the long bones in childhood and adolescence (the bones in the legs, thighs, arms and forearms) there is an area called the epiphyseal plate.

This area is involved in the formation of new bones and therefore increasing length and height.

Usually at the end of adolescence and rarely into the twenties this area stops adding new bone and becomes epiphyseal line.

This is the reason that excess growth hormone in children and adolescence results in increase in height and in some cases giants but in adults excess growth hormone is associated with different changes.
In adults excess of this hormone causes increase in tissue for example increase size of the fingers, forehead for example but not an increase in height.

The exercises you describe would keep you healthy which is important.

It is thought that yoga and pilates exercises, which increase core strength and help with posture may help a persons gain a few inches in height because of the posture changes.

The vitamins would also help with overall health.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions