Can I have ipill to prevent pregnancy after unprotected sex while taking pills to avoid periods?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016
Excellent

OBGYN
Question
hii i took pills last 4 days not to get my periods . i had unsafe sex day before yesterday .i didnot take pill to avoid periods yesterday .i dint get periods now ,can i have ipill now to avaoid pregnancy? am worried . please help me out ..
Posted Thu, 9 Jan 2014 in Birth Control

Answered by Dr. S Patra 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: NO CHANCE OF PREGNANCY. WAIT FEW MORE DAYS. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us. 1) Unprotected sex just before period due date is extremely SAFE and you have no chance of pregnancy in this case. In my opinion, you don't need to take extra I-pill. 2) As you took hormonal pills before period due date, then you have to wait few more days (3 to 5 days at least) to get withdrawal bleeding (similar to period). Hope, I have answered your query. Let me know, if you need further clarification. Wish your good health and practice safe sex in future. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Can I have ipill to prevent pregnancy after unprotected sex while taking pills to avoid periods? 9 minutes later
hello , am satisfied with your reply but what if i donot get my periods after 5 days ? can i use ipill after 5 days if i donot get periods ? what should i do in that case ? am i safe ? am extremly worried . please help ..

Answered by Dr. S Patra 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: DON'T BE WORRIED. YOU DID SAFE SEX. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for follow up query. 1) Most women get their withdrawal bleeding within 3 to 5 days and in few cases 7 to 10 days. Late period occurs due to hormonal imbalance (by pills) and mental stress. So, you need to wait few more days to get withdrawal bleeding or period and maintain STRESS FREE healthy life style. Extra stress or depression can delay your period 1 to 2 weeks. 2) Pregnancy depends on proper timing of ovulation (occurs 14 days prior to due date) and unprotected sex with ejaculation inside vagina. After ovulation, ovum can live only 24 to 36 hrs and sperm can live 3 to 5 days. In this case, you did sex just before period due date (as per information) and there is NO chance of pregnancy if your previous cycle was quite regular. 3) As you did SAFE sex, then you don't need to take ADDITIONAL I-PILL for extra protection. It can cause 1 to 2 weeks late period if you took it UNNECESSARILY. However, I-pill is not helpful after 5 days. 4) If you don't get period after 5 to 7 days waiting, then you can consult with your Local Doctor or Gynecologist to induce period with hormonal medicine after some relevant tests. Pregnancy test is valid 2 weeks after last sex in the absence of period and not before that. However, you wouldn't be worried much. Hope, I have guided you properly. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query. Good luck and all the best. Regards, Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Can I have ipill to prevent pregnancy after unprotected sex while taking pills to avoid periods? 28 minutes later
thanks mr.soumen one of my friend said that , once we stop taking pill to avoid periods , we would immediately get it . so .. i didnot take pill yesterday and today .. as you said , i understood that due to harmonal imbalance it may b a bit late.so ,as you said il wait for couple of weeks , then if i dont get periods ,,il consult a doc if my test is +ve ..(:o)(:x)are there any chances then to prevent pregnancy . please be patient and reply me . this is my 1st sex . awaiting for your reply . scared and worried extreamly . this would be my final question . thank you .

Answered by Dr. S Patra 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for query. First of all, you don't need to worry about pregnancy as you did safe sex. You will get your period soon as you stop taking those pill. Secondly, if pregnancy test becomes positive (in RARE case), medical abortion can be done with abortion pill after consultation with your doctor. Unwanted pregnancy can be terminated safely up to 7 weeks with pill. Hope for the best outcome. Practice safe sex in future. Regards, Dr Soumen