Can I have a sinus infection without any nasal drainage?

Jun 2015

Hello - We corresponded about my sinus issues and dizziness. Can you have a sinus infection and not have any nasal drainage?
Posted Wed, 15 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 14 hours later
Brief Answer: Depends on involvement of sinus & chronicity Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX, Thanks for writing back, The diagnostic criteria for Acute Sinusitis include: 1. Moderate symptoms (e.g. nasal purulence/congestion or cough) for more than 10 days. OR 2. Severe symptoms of any duration, including unilateral/focal facial swelling or tooth pain. Though most cases of Sinusitis present with nasal discharge, it may not be present in few cases depending on the involvement of the sinuses as well as the severity & chronicity of the infection/ inflammation. This can be determined by a proper clinical examination and investigations like complete blood count & X ray of para nasal sinus. Hope I have been able to answer your query. Please let me know if I need to clarify further. Wishing you a Good Health. Take care.