Can I have Acyclovir antibiotic for ear infection?

ENT Specialist
Can I use the anti virus antibiotic Acyclovir to treat an inner ear infection? I do not have insurance and a friend of mine gave me this antibiotic to clear up my ear infection. Please let me know if that is ok. Thank you, XXXXXXX XXXX
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: Not ok, see below for details Detailed Answer: Hello Madam, First of all do not take acyclovir before a doctor takes a look at you. If you can be more specific about your ear problem I can help you out. I want discuss your symptoms in detail before commenting on it. I am waiting for your response. Regards, Dr Rajkishori.
Follow-up: Can I have Acyclovir antibiotic for ear infection? 2 hours later
Thank you so much for answering quickly. I have pain in both ears and pressure below my ears in my lymph node area. Some dizziness but not bad. I have not had a fever and just got over he H1N1 flu a couple of weeks ago. Thank you XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: nothing to worry. Detailed Answer: Hi again, Thanks for the details. Pain in the ears suggests infecton of the ear. Take any over the counter pain killer after checking the dosage. Pain below the ear suggests blockage of the eustachian tube. It is the tube connecting the nose to the ear. It gets blocked due to infection. Pain can be relieved only if the tube opens up. Tube can be opened by instilling decongestant nose drops like otrivin. Instill 3 drops of otrivin in each nostril and after 10 minutes do steam inhalation. Repeat the procedure 3 times a day for 5 days. For correct method of instilling drops please read the crimp. Otrivin is available over the counter and does not need a prescription. Chewing gum and blowing balloons can also open the tube. If the pain does not come down in 2 more days then you will require antibiotics of the penicillin group. They are not available over the counter so you will have to pay a visit to the doctor. Drink plenty of fluids and avoid air conditioning. Sleep with an extra pillow to reduce congestion and pain. Regards, Dr Rajkishori