Can I go through my health insurance to see a doctor and not risk losing my job if I have HIV?

Hello. I fear that I have an STD and have many questions. The first is, if it is the worst case scenario-HIV, or similar-can I go through my health insurance to see a doctor and not risk losing my john?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Follow-up: Can I go through my health insurance to see a doctor and not risk losing my job if I have HIV? 3 minutes later
I meant losing my job
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

A fear of STD even before its confirmation is not necessary at this stage.

HIV infection does not mean that you will transmit the infection to your colleagues at your workplace. It is not contagious by simple contact or sharing towels etc.

You can consult a physician for proper investigations through your health insurance without the fear of losing your job. Most of the times the medical history of the patient is kept confidential in such cases. According to the medical ethics followed, the medical doctor should not inform the people at the company but shall persuade you to inform the sexual partners.

You can discuss your problem and symptoms here also so that we can give you a professional opinion.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Follow-up: Can I go through my health insurance to see a doctor and not risk losing my job if I have HIV? 17 minutes later
OK, thanks. My symptoms are as follows:

Itchiness on testicles and anus
Discoloration (white) on the underside of the shaft of my penis and on my testicles. The discoloration comes in sort of circular patches.
Discoloration (dark) on the tip of my penis, along with a few red blotches
Rash on forearms and knuckles
Constant pimples around my lips, none on my lips themselves. Also, a blister-like pimple on my inner lip.
Numbness of the penis or loss of sensitivity.

I went to a doctor for the itchiness in 2008 and they said it did not look like herpes and they prescribed me a cream, which I do not remember the name of and it did not work. Ever since then I have had the itchiness and thought it was from poor hygiene. But when the discoloration appeared earlier this year I began to panic. But I was afraid to seek help for fear of losing my job. Now I realize that I cannot hide and need to confront the problem. Can you please let me know your best diagnosis of your symptoms? Does it sound like HIV or herpes?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Your symptoms are more likely to be due to a fungal or bacterial infection rather than HIV. Herpes infection is a possibility as you have lesions around your lips also.

You can start with application of antifungal cream containing - Miconazole or Clotrimazole for short term relief.

A direct examination is a must for proper diagnosis.

I cannot address your problem completely since it needs good local examination and investigations to determine the type of infection you are having. Hence I encourage you to consult a competent dermatologist for complete evaluation.

Here are some tips to help cure this condition:
1. Keep the skin clean and dry.
2. Wash and dry the area first.
3. Apply the cream, beginning just outside the area of the rash and moving toward the center. Be sure to wash and dry your hands afterward.
4. Use the cream twice a day for 7 to 10 days.

Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.

Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.