Can I go for work during initial weeks of pregnancy with bicornuate uterus?

Mar 2013
Hi, i am 29 years old and 5 weeks pregnant. i had first baby 7 years back and discharge summary tells that i have bicarnuate uterus and the baby is in left horn and it is rudimentary. I have some complications then like bedrest and stitches to uterus in 4th month. Now i am 5 week pregnant and baby is in right horn this time...will i be having same complications or even more this time. I am a working woman, so pls suggest if i can go for work for initial few weeks or not? will be waiting for your reply. Thanks in advance.
Posted Tue, 11 Feb 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. Firstly could you upload the discharge summary of the previous childbirth ? It will provide me with a lot more information that would in turn help me to guide you in a better manner. More than 90 % of women who are pregnant with a bicornuate uterus, go on to have a successful delivery, however it is often fraught with complications. More than 60 % have a risk of abortion or preterm delivery, as a bicornuate uterus is often associated with cervical incompetence ( loose cervix ). You would need to be extra careful during your pregnancy. Rest is a must. If your work is not hectic, you may continue working till the third trimester begins. Remember to take frequent breaks, and avoid standing for prolonged hours. AIm to get atleast 8 - 10 hours of sleep at night. Once your ultrasound is done at around 8 weeks, and if no complications are present, then you can continue working. Also, you would require a cervical encirclage stitch this time around also, during the beginning of the second trimester, as this significantly reduces risk of preterm labour. For the rest, will await your discharge summary and then tell you more. Make sure you take progesterone supplements, as they guard against preterm uterine contractions. All the best. Please feel free to discuss further.