Can I give nestum rice mixed with lactogen to a new born?

My son is 5 months old ..dr has advised him nestum rice with water..he is not liking the taste .. Can I give him nestum rice mixed with lactogen 1 as I dont get enough breast milk
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 26 minutes later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

A baby should be exclusively breast fed till 6 months of age. Breast feeding is important as this contains the right things required for the baby in right proportions at the right time. It is ideal for brain growth. Breast milk prevents various infections like loose motions, respiratory infections, etc.

So give exclusive breast feeding for your baby till 6 months and continue to breast feed your baby till 2 years of age.

Keep your mind free of tensions. Take adequate diet. Take your baby in your lap with love. There will not be any insufficiency of breast milk. Only those doubts and thoughts will reduce milk production.

A baby is ready to accept solid diet after 6 months and you should start only after six months.

Initially the solid diet should be more dilute/semi solid in nature. Slowly more solid diet can be started as the baby accepts it.

Start with one new item per week after the baby is six months old. Add a new diet every week.

If you still want to give formula you may give formula feed. Lactogen 1 may be given. But be aware that a formula is always a formula. Man made things cannot be equated with what God has given.
Do not use a bottle. Use a cup and spoon.
Continue to ask further queries as required.
Hope this helps.
Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty
Associate Professor of Pediatrics
Follow-up: Can I give nestum rice mixed with lactogen to a new born? 1 hour later
Doctor.. As a doctor has suggested nestum rice mixed with water in a semi solid form..I would still like to know if I can mix that with lactogen instead of water as baby is reluctant to have it when given with water.
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 21 hours later

Thanks for your reply.

If your baby is not liking the taste of plain nestum rice mixed with water you may give it along with lactogen.

But the advise I initially gave regarding breast feeding is the best for your baby.

Hope this helps.