Can I get the alternative medicines names for IVF prescribed in India back in Europe ?

Infertility Specialist
Hello Doctor ,

Hope you are fine . Thanks for helping out in advance .
I request you answers for 3 points below

We have decided to get IVF done in India and accordingly my wife is udergoing treatment there. I live in Europe (Belgium) . My wife will be coming back in a weeks time .
Embryo transfer done on 15th May 2012. First Blood Test to be done 29th May 2012 in India. By Gods grace we hope it will turn out positive . So, she will be joining me in Belgium
on 3rd XXXXXXX .

The first question i have is what would be the euivalent medicines in Belgium for the below Indian prescribed medicines ?

1) PROGYNOVA 69 - 2 mg --- 2 tablets per day (morning and night)
2) MCBM 69 --- 1 tablet per day (in the night)
3) SUSTEN - 100 mg , Injection taken on every alternate day in the evening
4) SUSTEN - 200 mg Capsule , 3 times a day , inserted via vagina

I did contact one doctor (OBY/GEN) in Belgium for equivalent Belgium medicines , but he just gave me a replacement for Medicine 4 (SUSTEN - 200 mg Capsule) . He prescribed UTROGESTAAN. Medicine 1 (PROGYNOVA 69) is available here too.

He said medicine 3 and 2 he has never heard of and that what he has prescribed is the standard Belgium medicinal practise for IVF .
Can you please guide me with the replacement medicines or whether they are necessary or not after a positive blood test ?

Are we missing something here ? Please help me out ...

The second question i have is , how frequent should the monitoring cycle be after the first Blood Test for pregnancy ?
I have an appointment with our regular OBY/GEN on the 18th XXXXXXX If we continue with the prescribed medications , is it okay to directly go on the 18th XXXXXXX without any intermediary
monitoring ?

The Third Question i have is , is it safe to get an Ultra sound or intra vaginal scan immediatly
after pregnancy confirmation ? My wifes pregnancy Blood test is on 29th May 2012.
Is it okay to get a scan done after say 2-3 days or a week after that when we arrive in Belgium?

Posted Fri, 15 Jun 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Nandita Thakkar 23 hours later

In vitro fertilization is a complex procedure and I agree the guidelines can be different among different regions. So let me answer your queries specifically.

1. Prognova is a drug containing estradiol. Tablet MCBM 69 is a prenatal vitamin containing folic acid and methycobalamine. Susten is progesterone which is available in oral as well as injection forms.

Prenatal vitamin especially folic acid is beneficial in every women planning for pregnancy. It helps preventing developmental abnormalities in the growing fetus.

Both oral as well as injectable progesterone is helpful in maintaining and growth of pregnancy.

I am unaware of equivalent brand names of these drugs at Belgium. But I am sure when you give the active/generic names of these drugs; your gynecologist would be able to prescribe the equivalent brands to you.

2. Blood human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) is monitored post invitro fertilization to watch for progress of pregnancy. There is no fixed time of monitoring, your consultants monitors as per his/her clinical experience. Frequent monitoring may not be needed in some case.

Repeating the test on 18th XXXXXXX is good enough.

3. Ultrasound scans will be done once beta hCG is more than 1500 IU. It is safe and can be done under the guidance of your consultants there.

Hope this answers all your queries. Let me know if you need more help.

Wish you good health.

Dr XXXXXXX thakkar