Can I get pregnant if I had unprotected intercourse before a surgical abortion?

Pregnancy and abortion

by Msimms48, 19 hours
Hello doctor this might sound like stupid questions but could you please help.  On Friday I had a surgical abortion.  I was about 6-7 weeks.  3 days prior to the abortion my boyfriend and I had unprotected intercourse.  Obviously I can't get pregnant if I'm pregnant already but my questions are the following.

1-could the sperm from the sexual encounter 3 days before the abortion live and get me pregnant again after the procedure was done?
2-is it even possible to ovulate within the first 2-3 days after an abortion or ending of a pregnancy? Doesn't it take 10-14 days?
3-how long does sperm live for in the body?
4-is it true your body will still think its pregnant for first few days after procedure and not produce egg?
5-any other thoughts on this would help..or do you think I'm just paranoid?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 11 hours later
1. Your chances of becoming pregnant are virtually negligible as ovulation does not begin till about 14 days after an abortion and the sperm can survive in the vagina for only 24-48 hours.
2. Ovulation resumes only about 14 days after an abortion and does not occur 2-3 days after abortion.
3. The sperm survives for roughly 1-2 days in the vagina.
4. Yes, it takes about 1-2 weeks after termination of pregnancy for the effect of hormones to wear off.
5. If it would help in reassuring you, you can get an ultrasound of uterus done after 2 weeks.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.