Can I get pregnant if I had tuberculosis previously? How to avoid recurrence? How to protect baby? Boost immunity?

hi,i just want to know i have taken anti tubercular treatment for 11.5 months precisely.I have got an mri done of the infected area and reports are normal.I am 29 years old and 49 kgs of weight, i want to go family way now.can i go ahead, as my doctor says that during pregnancy due to hormonal changes in the body the chances of recurrence of tuberculosis increases so please suggest?if yes,then what precaution can i take to avoid recurrence of tuberculosis during pregnancy and how can i avoid my baby getting affected by it?if the only way of avoiding recurrence of tuberculosis is to boost the immunity then please suggest how can i boost my immunity besides by eating healthy nutritious food(please suggest some vitamins etc)?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 40 minutes later

Tuberculosis is a common infection and extra pulmonary TB is also seen quite often. TB is curable with drugs. You need to complete the treatment without missing any doses of medicines. After you complete the treatment and your infection is cleared then pregnancy shouldn't be an issue.

I would like to know whether you have taken treatment for Pulmonary TB or extra pulmonary TB.

The complications that you may come across are low birth weight baby and premature baby. These complications can be identified and treated early with good monitoring and regular antenatal visits.

Eat a well balanced diet and dont miss your medicines. You can take prenatal vitamins as prescribed by your doctor. Consult a dietician for a diet chart.

To boost your immunity, you can add food XXXXXXX in Vitamin C, E, Zinc (Beans, beef if non vegetarian), and garlic.

Hope, this answers your query. I will be available for follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Can I get pregnant if I had tuberculosis previously? How to avoid recurrence? How to protect baby? Boost immunity? 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX thanks for a prompt revert but i would want to know even after completing my treatment is there a chance that i will have a premature, under weight baby?for your information i complete my treatment on 19th oct 2011,if i conceive after that am i prone to the infection again?i had bone tb in spinal cord,im sorry im not aware whther it is pulmonary or extra pulmonary tb?please explain the differnece then may b i cn answer that question and you could help me further
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 42 minutes later
You seem to have extra pulmonary TB also called Pott's spine.Its TB infection of the spinal cord.The drugs will clear the infection from your body but there is always a chance of relapse.It can occur at any time so the pregnancy needs to be monitored closely.Due to the low immunity you are susceptible to infections to boosting it is a good idea.The complications of LBW and prematurity may or may not occure,even after treatment depending on your immune status.But chances are less if the patient has completed treatment and declared free of infection.
Relapse during the pregnancy may occur,and in such cases,drugs need to be started again.
You will need to see your obstetrician regularly for follow up.After you complete your treatment start folic acid and vitamins for at least 2-3 months and then try to concieve.

Hope i could help you some.