Can I get pregnant if I had sex while on my period? Delivered two months ago. Am I more fertile now?

Question
PregnantI had sex while i was on my period can i get pregnant. I jus had a baby 2 months ago so i wonder am i more fertile i need to know because i think i might be pregnant
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 10 hours later
Hello

Post delivery, women go into period of lactational amenorrhea during which they are protected against pregnancy. This period is variable - lasting from few months to an year. Periods return subsequently. The periods that occur post lactational amenorrhea are often irregular initially and then become normal as it used to be before pregnancy.

It seems you have started to get your periods back. You are no longer protected against pregnancy.

Now, though the chances of pregnancy due to an unprotected sexual intercourse during the time of menstruation are low, as the periods are irregular, it is hard to predict your chances. Hence it is better to do a urine pregnancy test.

To answer your question in simple terms,

1. It seems that your fertility may have returned.
2. The chances of pregnancy due to the act mentioned is low but cannot be ruled out.
3. Hence getting tested for pregnancy using home pregnancy test is better.

Hope I have provided you with useful information. Should you have any additional concerns, I will be available to address them.

Follow-up: Can I get pregnant if I had sex while on my period? Delivered two months ago. Am I more fertile now? 6 days later
Ok thanks for the help its jus I have been really tired. I also wanna know why some time I have sex my vaginal starts to itch really bad do you think it can be bacteriall
Follow-up: Can I get pregnant if I had sex while on my period? Delivered two months ago. Am I more fertile now? 2 minutes later
I mean bacterial vaganosis doesnt have an oder or burn

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 19 hours later
Hello

Thanks for writing back.

Bacterial vaginosis , candida vaginitis and trichomonas infection can give rise to itching.

In bacterial vaginosis the odour is fishy , in candida the discharge is thick curd like and in trichomonas infection it is XXXXXXX and frothy.

For simple itching you can take tablet levocetrizine and apply local mild steroid ointment like flucort-H.

If there is discharge you take tablet fluconazole for fungal infection and metronidazole for trichomonas infection.

Both partners should take metronidazole or secnidazole under doctor's prescription and guidance.

Any further query is most welcome

Best wishes