Can I get keratosis pilaris, folliculitis and sebaceous gland cysts from HIV?

I am 5'3 I weight 137 and I am female. I am single. I have not had sex from 2001 until 2007. From 2007 I had sex with the same man only 4 times. We used a condom but it broke. I didn't have sex until 2010 with another man, we had sex 4 times and the condom broke twice. I now have Keratosis Pilaris and a slight case of folliculitis and have developed sebacious gland cysts on my face but noone can see all this except me. I have gained 25 lbs in the past 5 years and I am 54. Is it likely that I would be having these conditions from hiv. I haven't been tested. However I can't imagine that I would be gaining weight and I am also healthier than I was years ago. Although I do worry. If I got hiv over 10 years ago I think I would not be healthier and I would not be gaining weight. Although if I just developed hiv since 2008 or 2010 would I be gaining weight and healthy and be getting these skin conditions. I am confused and also too scared to get tested. What do you think, besides telling me to get tested.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 1 hour later

Considering your present condition/symptoms, there is nothing suggestive of HIV/AIDS.

The symptoms to look for HIV are- weight loss, diarrhea, cough and unexplained fever and opportunistic infections. You have none.

Keratosis pilaris and sebaceous cysts have nothing do with HIV or any other STD (Sxually Transmitted Diseases).

Getting tested (screened) is always a good idea. But it will be just for a routing screening. So there is nothing to worry about.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Can I get keratosis pilaris, folliculitis and sebaceous gland cysts from HIV? 2 hours later
I did mention my folliculitis. What about this? I also was diagnosed with warts on my face by dermatologist and he froze them. They were the size of a pin head but they got worse, I got an infection after he froze them and then it went away with antibacteria cream. However I believe he misdiagnosed the warts because of the fact that I still have the same thing on my face and he now says they are sebacious cysts. Also I have no weight loss or cough and never have a fever. When I get sick I never get a cough. I do get asthma once in awhile which I always had. However I have been getting diarrhea for a long time. I had my gallbladder out recently this past year and then went in for a colonoscopy and I have diverticulosis and had a precancerous tumor removed. I am cancer free. The GI Dr. said I need to add fiber to my diet, and get a colonoscopy every 5 years. I also am having calcifications on my breast and keep having to get it checked every six months. What do you mean by opportunist infections? Would the folliculitis be one?
Also any of the other health problems I mentioned? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 41 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.

The symptoms that you have mentioned are mostly age related, including folliculitis. I do not suspect HIV based on these symptoms.

Regarding your diarrhoea, since you are having this from a long time.You will need to get it checked for diet as your doctor has mentioned along with that low fat and non spicy food.

Those with advanced HIV infection are vulnerable to infections and malignancies that are called 'opportunistic infections' because they take advantage of the opportunity offered by a weakened immune system.Folliculitis is not one of them.
Eg: of oppurtunistic infections are tuberculosis, malaria, bacterial pneumonia, herpes zoster, staphylococcal skin infections ,septicemia, toxoplasmosis and cryptococcosis.

You don't have any of them.

Regarding your face lesions, I suspect they are DPN( Dermatosis Papulosa Nigra) or syringoma rather than warts or sebaceous cysts.