Can I get herpes from using common razor?

Question
If I used a razor to shave my private areas when I DID NOT have an outbreak and then over a month later someone used it to shave would there be risk of transmission. I've heard herpes can't survive outside the body but does live a bit longer in a razor.
Posted Fri, 22 Feb 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 32 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Herpes simplex virus can survive for very short periods outside the human body but, as you mentioned it can survive for longer periods on dry inanimate surfaces for a few hrs to 1 to 2 weeks.
It survives longer if the area is not very humid. One study looked at survival on metal surfaces like the razor and found that survival was less on metal surfaces, in fact it was up to 24 hrs. On glass it survived up to a week.

Transmission can occur when a person is not symptomatic but this is usually a week before or after an outbreak.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Can I get herpes from using common razor? 30 minutes later
So do I have anything to worry about if someone used my razor OVER A MONTH after I used it, would they possibly get anything ?

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 22 minutes later
Yes , it is extremely unlikely. The virus is not known to survive for this period of time on that type of surface.

Feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Can I get herpes from using common razor? 2 hours later
I'm sorry, are you saying "yes" I don't have anything to worry about because the virus is not known to survive for over a month on a razor surface. I just want to be clear.

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 10 minutes later
The virus is not known to survive that period of time and transmission extremely unlikely