Can I get an infection with intermittent pain and tightness in between metacarpals after smashing my toe?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I smashed my little toe into a heavy mirror on the floor and had to put it back into place- one month ago. I then tubbed it again last week and since then the whole foot became swollen, and painful.and slightly red. the swelling has now subsided but i have deep intermittent pain, throbbing, pulling sensation. can I still get an infection or sepsis? It feels tight in between the metacarpels. thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 19 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: Chance of getting this infected. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. From description it seems that there is inflammation over foot. There might be chance of getting this infected. I advice you to give you rest to the part affected, take anti-inflammatory drug like motrin 1 tablet with food as and when required (upto 4 tablets daily) to reduce pain and inflammation and consult your doctor for thorough examination of foot to rule out any infective cause. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care