Can I get a knee replacement as I am suffering from fibromyalgia?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi I am needing surgery ,( a knee replacement) but I have seen 4 surgeons and they are afraid to do the surgery because I have fibromyalgia. I can barely walk on this knee Can you do anything to help control my pain. during and after surgery? and also continue to be my pain DR after surgery? This ? is for Dr Rentz Sincerely XXXX
Posted Wed, 27 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Do good physiotherapy to control pain. Detailed Answer: Hi, If your pain is not managed by coservative management and there is severe osteoarthritic changes, you definitely need joint replacement. To reduce pain you have to do good physiotherapy to regain the range of motion and to control pain. Steroid injections in knee joint can be given to reduce the pain amd inflammation. After good knee replacement, there is no need to worry about pain. Hope this will helps you. Let me know if you have any more concerns. Warm regards.