Can I get HIV from unprotected hand job?

Dermatologist
Question
i had a very short unprotected handjob from a girl of unknown status. i do not remember seeing blood or anythingon her hands, but she was touching herself immediately before she touched me. any hiv risks here? and if no why - what makes the handjob safe if there are vaginal secretions?
Posted Thu, 7 Mar 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later
Hi ,
Thanks for writing in.
The exposure cited by you is very low risk type.
Actual mucosa to mucosa contact is required for transmission of HIV.
Without fluid exchange taking place there is no real risk of HIV.
In Absence of any visible sore /ulcer/bleeding handjob is considered safe and there is no or little risk of HIV in your case.
The HIV virus by nature is very fragile and dies within minutes when outside human body.Unless you had any erosions or ulcers over the genital skin/mucosa and she had her vaginal fluid on her hand which she smeared on you there is hardly any risk.
Hope this helps.
I will be available for follow up.
Regards.
DrSudarshan
Dermatology,HIV,STD specialist.

Follow-up: Can I get HIV from unprotected hand job? 10 hours later
Thank you doctor. i have read a lot about this issue and my mind tells me to forget about it, but i keep thinking it over and over again - maybe regret, maybe OCD, etc...

Two questions:

1. why would a handjob be considered as low risk vs the intercourse. Both involve vaginal fluids touching the male organ?

2. If there was no visible blood or visible sores (the actual case), then we are to assume this was a safe issue and no need for a test, right? she did not even touch the head of my member, but I am uncircumsized - would that play a role?

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 22 hours later
To answer your questions.
1.intercourse involves actual rubbing of mucosa to mucosa contact and handjob consists of skin to skin or skin to mucosa contact at the most.The former carries more risk of trauma and fluid transfer.
2. Yes it appears to be safe act if you are describing the action correctly.being uncircumcised helps in your case as it prevnts mucosal contact but in actual intercourse being circumcised helps as it minimises the trauma and retention of secretions.
Hope this clears the matter .