Can I get HIV from soap via a cut on the leg? Had headache, fever, sore throat. No medical issues.

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I was working out on a bike at a gym and cut my leg on the equipment and it started to bleed. I went into the showers to bath.There was a soap dispenser that had soap from a previous user on it and I was wondering if it is possible if the soap could get in the cut on my leg that was bleeding and get HIV from that. Two nights afterwards I had a headache, fever and sore thoat, I don't know if it a coincidence or what. Thanks for your feedback. I am 32 years old, weight 160lbs, 6' tall. I am in great condition. I am a avid runner (marathon) and eat very healthy. No medical issues.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
HIV virus cannot transmitted by sharing a soap. There is no risk of transmission of HIV or STD in your case even if you were actively bleeding. In fact there are no cases reported to have transmitted infection through this mode.
Having headache, fever and sore throat is just a co incidence. This seems to be a routine viral infection which will subside with good diet and oral fluids in 5-7 days. Warm saline gargles will help you. You can also add Vitamin C supplements to your diet for early recovery.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.