Can I fly when I have tympanic membrane damage ?

my name is cheri spring my age is 55, I am 5'2'' and weigh 110 pounds
I was diagnosed with a primary diagnosis or barotrauma and with a secondary diagnosis of tympanic membrane rupture
I am on the east coast and I am supposed to fly back to Los Angeles in 3 days. Could I suffer any permanent damage if I fly in 3 days?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 28 minutes later
Hello Cheri spring,

You already have a ruptured tympanic membrane of one ear due to pressure changes. When you will fly back, your ears will again be exposed to the pressure changes.

Tympanic membrane damage is although a good enough damage, it can be cured conservatively with the help of antibiotics as well as surgically. So, the damage is not permanent.

You can take some precautions like using ear plugs while you are traveling so that the pressure changes affect your ears minimally.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.