Can I fly a week after falling and sustaining a Subdural hematoma?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2014
Apr 2014

Radiologist
Question
Can I fly a week after falling and sustaining a Subdural hematoma? Repeat cat scan showed more revolving in size.
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It is better to avoid flying for four weeks. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Flying should be avoided for at least 4 weeks after the onset of subdural hematoma.So it is important to know date of occurrence in your case. Due to pressure changes and extreme turbulence during flying veins may start to rebleed so better to avoid. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Can I fly a week after falling and sustaining a Subdural hematoma? 27 hours later
Is it common after receiving a blow to the head to develop a new area approximately 72 hours later? I now have a new hematoma like area approximately 2 inches below the initial area of impact that is causing headaches.

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer: You should avoid flying. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing back Yes,prone person may have recurrent SDH even with subtle injury. You should take all the precautions. You are right.Headache is due to new lesion.Recurrence is major problem in managing SDH. You should avoid flying as you have developed new lesion. Get well soon. Hope I have answered your question. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX