Can I drink alcohol ,smoke cigarettes , weed while on fluconozole for yeast infection ,macrodantin for UTI ?

May 2013
Can i drink alcohol and smoke cigarettes and weed while being treated with fluconozole for a yeast infection and macrodantin for a UTI? If not, are ambien and xanax okay to take while being treated with these medication? I am also taking aviane as a form of birth control because my doctor said it would help with my chronic yeast infections but will the macrodantin sort of cancel this out, making me more susceptible to chronic yeast infections?
Posted Sun, 10 Jun 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 7 hours later
thanks for the query.
you should not drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes while taking these drugs. Because,

- fluconazole: If fluconazole is used along with alcohol it will cause disulfiram effect. In this the patient will become acutely sensitive to alcohol. So, when alcohol is taken very unpleasant symptoms like high blood pressure, restlessness, anxiety, visual impairment etc symptoms can occur.

-Aviane : smoking and alcohol will affect the contraceptive efficacy of it.

-macrodantin: It causes gastrointestinal upset which will further worsen by alcohol. And also alcohol and smoking will affect its way of working.

-Ambien: it will increase the effects of alcohol and make patient more sleepy and may cause sleep walking.

-Xanax : if alcohol is taken along with xanax both will cause central nervous system depression.

-smoking: As smoking leads to elevated liver enzymes it will lead to increased break down of drugs and decease their efficacy.

Aviane generally will not protect from fungal infections. But repeated use of macrodantin will make individual suseptable to fungal infections.

alcohol and smoking also decrease general immunity. So you have to stop them before using these drugs.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please do not forget to accept it.
take care

Follow-up: Can I drink alcohol ,smoke cigarettes , weed while on fluconozole for yeast infection ,macrodantin for UTI ? 51 minutes later
I have drank alcohol using fluconozole and not experienced any of those symptoms, how will drinking change the effectiveness of birth control? Or macrodantin? My doctor that prescribes it knows that I drink and did not say anything about alcohol making it less effective... and in terms of smoking I really only may have one cigarette once or twice a week... are you saying I am at risk for getting pregnant since I drank before having unprotected sex (though I was on birth control)? And my doctor also told me that macrodantin would not give me a yeast infection... are you saying this is incorrect?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later
theoretically it is said that disulfiram reaction will occur when alcohol is taken by people using fluconazole. It may not be seen in all the people all the times. But as cases are reported with this reaction, everyone should be warned regarding this possibility.
Though alcohol may not directly affect the efficacy oc pills but it will increase complications of pills and by enzyme inhibition oral pills will increase the blood levels of alcohol, whereas smoking by elevating liver enzymes will lead to increased breakdown of drug leading to contraceptive failure. Same applies to macrodantin.

One cigarette once a week may not have much effect but as your are just 18, with increasing age the risk may also increase because of chronic exposure.

Use of macrodantin can affect the bacterial flora of the gut, vagina etc leading to decreased immunity which can increase yeast infections.

If you can't stop drinking completely at once try to decrease the quantity and increase interval, gradually you can leave it.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please accept it.
take care.