Ask a Dentist   »  

Can I cut off a growth under my tongue?

I have this growth under my tongue. I noticed that my tongue was pretty sore underneath for about a week, and I just finally looked under it now. Is this normal? Can I cut it off? Here's a photo:
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
The growth under your tongue seems to be more like a polyp or an outgrown tag on the underside of the tongue mucosa. It seems to be a harmless benign lesion.
You can get it removed from your dentist. Do not attempt to do so yourself as tongue is a highly vascular organ and it might bleed a lot. There might be a small ulcer present at the base of your oral cavity.
It is best to send this tissue for histopathological examination after the removal since the area is sore.
Till the time you XXXXXXX your dentist avoid smoking, use iodine mouth wash and listerine mouth wash to keep the area clean.
Avoid hot and spicy foods.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.