Can I cut my arms, feet or parts of body without cutting a vein?

I am 22 and i am a cutter i have been doing it for the past 8 years safely, i have recently been cutting my arm and have made some XXXXXXX cuts, although superficial and i have no desire to die and no suicidal thoughts, how XXXXXXX can i cut without cutting a vein or artery? (obvious )%ly stopping is the best option but for me this is a safety procedure .)
Posted Sat, 26 May 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 2 hours later

There is no safe limit to which you can cut yourself. The veins and arteries of each individual are located at a different level and there is no way to know where it is unless you can see them ( which is only in the case of superficial veins ) or put a cannula in them. These are also indirect methods. A slight variation can result in serious bleeding/

The best advice what i can give you is already mentioned by you in the question, that is stop cutting yourself. I advise you to XXXXXXX the psychiatrist and go for counselling.

Cutting yourself is not safe. It is difficult to predict how XXXXXXX the vessel is and to be sure to make incision just above that. Even for very skilful and experienced surgeon, it would be difficult and for you it will be much worse.

While self-injury may bring a momentary sense of calm and a release of tension, it's usually followed by the return of painful emotions. Self-injury poses the risk of serious injury, infection or disfigurement, or even death. Self-injury has some addictive qualities, making it hard to overcome on your own.

Again, I would suggest that you stop doing that and it will be nice if you go back to your psychiatrist.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.