Can I continue playing football after being diagnosed with disc generation and mild scoliosis in spine?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I am having backache since last 3 months I started playing football 1 year ago and the back pain has become unbearable since last 3 months At first I was given pain killer medicine such as Zerodol-P by Doctor and tablet Willgo( nimesulide SR)200mg for acute pain After getting MRI, CT scan and X ray it was found that I had disc degeneration at D8-9, D9-10, D10-11 and mild scoliosis at L-5 spine Schmorl's node is seen at inferior end plate of D12 vertebral body The medication finally given was Tab Obsicare-plus BD for 2 months, Tab Nurokind LC OD for 2 months and physiotherapy.... tab Ultracet SOS Should I continue playing football after 3~ 4 weeks?? The routine for playing since last 3 months is just 3 days a week with the help of paikiller Tab Willgo and Tab Zerodol P...........I dont how safe it is to continue playing snince I love playing Football since my childhood although I was not consistent and stopped playing for 12 Yrs my age is 39 male
Posted Thu, 9 Jan 2014 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: you can start playing football gradually. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. I have gone through the description in detail and reports attached. Before starting playing football, I suggest you to do good back exercises to strengthen your back. Start with low aerobic sports. Start swimming. It is good for back and really helpful. After good session of physiotherapy, when pain will be controlled, you can start playing football gradually. Hope this will helps you. Let me know if you have any more concerns. Take care.

Follow-up: Can I continue playing football after being diagnosed with disc generation and mild scoliosis in spine? 1 hour later
I don't know swimming ,, can I just do back exercises Regarding medication Osicare plus ,,, I was told it will prevent disc degeneration Is it so?? Although pls tell me the root cause of my illness ,, is it rheumatoid arthritis ?? Is it curable ?? Pls explain in medical terms Does this illness occur to people of my age ?? I already have stomach acidity problem and taking this medicine May agravate my problem!! Should I start taking antacids too !!

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 22 hours later
Brief Answer: It is not rheumatoid arthritis. Detailed Answer: Hi, It is not rheumatoid arthritis. You are suffering from degenerative disc disease(spondolysis). It’s not actually a disease, but rather a condition in which your discs “degenerate,” or lose their flexibility and ability to cushion your spine. While disc degeneration can’t be reversed, there is evidence that exercise and careful management of your back can contribute to better quality of life. This condition usually affects young adults or middle-aged people who lead active lifestyles and are in otherwise good XXXXXXX Studies have shown that people who smoke are at greater risk for developing degenerative disc disease. You are right. These medicines may aggravate your acidity problem. So yo should start taking antacids with these medication after consulting with your doctor. Osicare plus is combination of diacerein and glucosamine. These are thought to help slow or prevent the degeneration of joint cartilage and disc.

Follow-up: Can I continue playing football after being diagnosed with disc generation and mild scoliosis in spine? 19 hours later
thank u Dr XXXXXXX Although I want to further ask that can taking Tab Osicare plus for 2 months cure my spondolysis forever OR I have to take regularly every 2~3 months of & on Also I would like ask regarding Disc calcification and Calcification found in CERVICAL X ray too which was pointed by Neurosyrgeon,,,,, He told me to go to Endocrinilogist who in turn got my tests done for Calcium and Phosphorous but found them NORMAL I was told that this sort of earky calcification may create problem in later years but were unable to pin point the reason for the same!!! Could u suggest any possible reason for this problem ???

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Thanks for your query again. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Taking Osicare plus does not cure spondolysis forever. As I had previously said that these are thought to help slow or prevent the degeneration of joint cartilage and disc. Disc calcification is the deposition of calcium in intervertebral discs. It often is associated with a decrease in disc space height. The deposits are a sign of degenerative changes in the structure of the disc and usually cause no symptoms. Hope this helps you. Warm regards.