Can I continue Nusoft soap, Lorinol and Polaramine for skin infection in my child?

Dec 2013

Hello Doctor, Since I got an email with a followup subject "How are you doing" on 24th XXXXXXX for the query that I raised on Dec 4, 2013, I thought I give me feedback. Incidentally, after using Oilatum, my daughter has developed more eruptions at the elbow fold and kneefold and some more itching. My wife consulted another doctor and he observed that Oilatum can be used once the skin infection is under control. He suggested below medicine and a soap called Nusoft which are effective so far and she got rid of itching and eruptions, redness etc. Lorinol 10mg Polaramine 2mg Tab HHsone 10gm cream alaspan tab Regards, XXXX
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Perfect treatment; can continue under guidance Detailed Answer: Hi Mr. XXXX, Welcome to the forum again. I just refreshed whole of your query regarding your sweet little daughter asked on Dec 9 2013. I remember I diagnosed it as “Atopic dermatitis” (mild) and for the same suggested you to apply a moisturizing cream. As your treating dermatologist has the best facility to examine the condition so I agree with him on this point to use oilatum after complete healing of skin condition. Elbow and knee fold areas are bit prone for friction and slight humidity due to opposing surface of skin, so if the cream of any nature is applied on higher side then can cause mild irritation. Your doctor has prescribed a perfect course of treatment in which HHsone is a mild steroid containing mometasone in it. Both lorinol and alaspan are non-sedating anti-histamine containing loratadine in it and polaramine is again an antihistamine. So accordingly you can use either of lorinol or alaspan (as both are similar) in day time and polaramine at night time (as it causes slight sedation so helps in sleep). HHsone being a steroid, so use it in minimum possible amount so that it should not be visible to the naked eye. Once again let tell you that one pea size amount is sufficient to apply on palm size area. So apply it according to above terms. Do not use steroid cream beyond 15 days without dermatological guidance. Nusoft soap can be used on regular basis without any problem. Once the skin condition is totally alright then you can use oilatum as a general moisturization. Use it in least amount over body fold. I hope these information will help you in dealing the condition better. If you have any further queries I will be glad to help you. With good health wishes, Dr Sanjay MD - Dermatology