Can I conceive physically after weeks of miscarriage?

I know you are supposed to wait after having a miscarriage to try again but can yiu physically get pregnant in the weeks following a miscarriage?
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 2 hours later

After miscarriage, it takes time for restoration of a healthy intra-uterine lining, production of ova by ovaries and, a normal cyclical balance of female hormones in the blood- mandatory requirements for conceiving. Once all the above-mentioned conditions are met, pregnancy can occur.

Have a nice day and good health

Dr. Karanwal
Follow-up: Can I conceive physically after weeks of miscarriage? 12 minutes later
Thanks i understand this however will i ovulate prior to having my next cycle? Therefore making it possible to conceive prior to having menstruation?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Certainly you will ovulate prior to your next cycle

Detailed Answer:

Good Day to you and welcome back!

Certainly you will ovulate prior to your next cycle. In fact, the primary aim of menstruation is to expel the unfertilized ovum. The dictum is : Period follows Ovulation. In other words, you can always get pregnant if you try at the time of first ovulation- after miscarriage. Obviously, once conception takes place, there would be no subsequent menstruation.

With reference to your original query, the answer is YES. Theoretically, one can get pregnant within a few weeks- even as early as 4-8 weeks (the usual duration required for normalization of the conditions conducive for pregnancy) post-miscarriage. However, chances of re-miscarriage and complications increase in those who get pregnant within weeks after miscarriage.

In the event of females opting for second pregnancy soon after miscarriage, it is strongly advisable that the treating doctor ensure that any infections or other consequences of miscarriage are fully addressed before they try to conceive.

Apart from the theoretical discussion about possibility of getting pregnant soon after miscarriage, I would like to share with you, the outcomes of several studies carried out worldwide.

Majority of the Gynecologists agree that one should wait for 6 months before trying to conceive, as chances of a healthy and complication-free pregnancy increase. On the other hand, there is a sizable group of doctors who recommend earlier conception.

I am personally of the opinion that the female should be allowed to choose the timing of second pregnancy following miscarriage, provided that infection or other complications of miscarriage have been taken care of.

Hope I have addressed your query to your satisfaction. If you have any further questions, I will be more than happy to help you.

However, if you do not have any further clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wish you a good health.

Fond regards and best wishes,

Dr. (Col) R Karanwal