Can I be pregnant with abdominal cramps and missing periods with heart burn?

Can I be pregnant with no symptoms but left abdominal cramps and missing period for 10days?
I have never missed a period, however in the early morning I get this abdominal cramps and some heart burn and sometimes headache with 3 to 4 bowel movement in a day.
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes it is possible

Detailed Answer:
If you still get cycles, and are having unprotected intercourse, then absolutely you can get pregnant. You need to take a pregnancy test now! If the test is positive, then you need to seek help immediately as this might represent an ectopic pregnancy (in your tube) based on the pain you are describing.

In all likelihood, though, the test will be negative, and this represents a cycle related problem related to delayed or absent ovulation. This is extremely common and normal in women in their 40's as they approach menopause. The abdominal cramps, heartburn and change in bowel habits might be related to your cycle, but they could also be related to a completely separate GI issue.

I hope that this helps!
Follow-up: Can I be pregnant with abdominal cramps and missing periods with heart burn? 3 hours later
Is it also possible for me assuming am approaching menopause to still get pregnant if am having unprotected sex and how possible is that?
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Very unlikely, but...

Detailed Answer:
Without knowing your entire medical history, I cannot give you a number, but if you are still cycling, then it means that you are still producing an egg each cycle. There is no reason to believe that you are not at risk for pregnancy with unprotected intercourse. In normal couples, the risk per month is about 15%. If you keep having unprotected intercourse, especially at mid-cycle, eventually you are likely to get pregnant.

There are great options for someone like you, such as the Mirena IUD or the Essure procedure.
Follow-up: Can I be pregnant with abdominal cramps and missing periods with heart burn? 9 minutes later
I am 46 yrs old and my husband is 49 this is our second marriage each and I already have 3 kids but he wants to have kids what is the possibility of me getting pregnant at this age and how do we go about this....I have regular periods and just missed my period this month...any hope?
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, but...

Detailed Answer:
Given the fact that you have had kids before, then your chances are decent of getting pregnant. Statistically, the chances have dereased dramatically given your age, but they are not zero. Here is what I would recommend:

1. You need to XXXXXXX with a Genetics Counselor - I would recommend that you and your husband have a realistic perspective on the risks of pregnancy at your age. The chance of having a baby with Down's syndrome, for example, are not insignificant. This would at least guide you in terms of 1st trimester screening for problems like this and help you with this decision making even before you are pregnant.
2. You need to schedule a one-time fertility consult with an REI specialist (reproductive endocrinology and infertility). A thorough review of your history and their experience with patients your age will also produce some realistic and accurate odds of achieving pregnancy. There is not much time to waste, so their input might save you time, especially if your cycle irregularity becomes a new, persistent problem.

I hope that this helps and good luck!